Welcome to Annarbour.com

(647) 477 2197 , 780 628 7040

(647) 477 5983


Live In Caregiver


Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), people in Canada can bring foreign workers into the country to work as caregivers through a special, separate immigration program, when Canadians and permanent residents are not available.

To be approved for the Program, both the employer and the caregiver must satisfy several criteria, as well as complete the application process.

Caregivers for children

  • Children under 18 years of age
  • This category includes - Child caregiver / Live in Caregivers, & Nanny’s.

Caregivers for people with high medical needs

  • Elderly persons, 65 years of age or over; or
  • People with disabilities, a chronic or terminal illness.
  • This category includes – Registered / Licenced Nurse Or Registered Psychiatric Nurse, For person with disability – Personal care attendant, home support worker.

Minimum Requirement for Caregiver:

  • With minimum of 1year of paid work experience ( voluntary work not counted)
  • High secondary school / Graduation equivalent to Canadian Education maybe necessary
  • Diploma or other training program completed in Nursing, Personal support & care of elders or person with disability or high medical care, Early childhood Education, Child psychology, First aid certification maybe necessary.
  • Fluency in English with ability to read, write & speak independently
  • Provide care on a full-time basis (minimum 30 hours per week).
  • Work in the private household where the care is being provided.

Requirement for Employers:

  • Individuals hiring a foreign caregiver are considered employers and must obtain a business number (BN) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to meet the minimum requirement for hiring a TFW.
  • Employers must demonstrate their financial ability to pay the caregiver’s wages. Financial ability will be assessed by Service Canada by using Low Income Cut - Offs.
  • Employers must pay $1,000 for each position requested to cover the cost of processing a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application.

Employers Must Provide Wage and Working condition as below: -

  • Employers must pay the worker a wage that is equal or above that median wage for the economic region where the work will be located. As per the median wage available on Job bank. Pay workers for all work (including overtime, where required by law)& also allow for proper break time and days off.
  • Employers must provide – Overtime pay after 44 hours/ week, Vacation leave and pay requirements as per IRCC guidelines.
  • Employers of low-wage in-home caregivers must always pay for the transportation costs (e.g. plane, train, boat, car, bus) of the caregiver to the work location in Canada.
  • Employer must provide a proper accommodation to home Caregivers ( If such an option is chosen), as per the rules and guidelines of IRCC and not charge for accommodation.
  • Employers must provide the following benefits to low wage in home Caregivers – Health & Work Place Safety Insurance.

Fill out assessment to check if you qualify as a caregiver

Permanent residency for Caregivers

Caregivers who have worked in Canada and met the minimum criteria may apply for permanent residency and add their family members, while applying for an open work permit to continue working in Canada.

Minimum Criteria

  • Have been working in Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program for at least 24 months, or
  • worked a total of 3,900 hours within four years of arriving in Canada, and
  • have a valid work permit to work in a home offering live-in care for children, seniors or the disabled.
  • Have passed a language test
  • Has valid status in Canada

Are you outside Canada?

  • Immigrate Permanently with or without Job offer
  • visit
  • Study
  • Work
  • Invest, Do Business or be self-employed
  • Live-in Caregiver

Are you inside Canada?

  • Sponsor your Family Federal or Provincial
  • Apply for Permanent Residency
  • Renew your PR
  • Change Jobs
  • Extent/change/Restore Tour status
  • Do Business or Invest

Are you an Employer?

  • Take advantage of the foreign worker program
  • Find a suitable employee
  • Retain your employees
  • Hire a Foreign Worker
  • Federal or provincial Sponserships?
  • How Ann Arbour can assist you

Are you outside Canada?

Are you inside Canada?

Are you an Employer?

Alberta British Colombia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador
Nova Scotia Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan
North West Territories Yukon